I mean seriously, these things smell. I sweat in them at least three times a week, and more often than not I am out on a trail. I’ve been washing the dirt off with water and sticking newspaper in them right after my run (a tribute to my drying out my snowboots in Minnesota as a kid). These methods improve the smelly situation, but don’t solve the problem.
So I am on the hunt for a way to clean them up and make them smell pretty– well, at least smell better. Some of the things I might try:
- The original tag that came on my shoes suggests running them through the washing machine and then letting them air dry.
- My friend Krista suggested taking them with me in the shower.
- This blog suggests putting them in the dishwasher.
- This one here recommends scrubbing them with a toothbrush.
- This forum at Runner’s World suggests, among other things, soaking them in borax/warm water and placing them in front of a fan to dry.
- Shawn thinks I should just wear socks. Is that a barefoot running cop-out?
Have you found a shoe cleaning method that works? Please share!